August 24, 2008

Aack, last day in the US of A!




Hey, it's my first "real" post! Just arrived home from Opera North at 1am last night, and after unpacking everything, I've spent the evening packing my life for the next 10 months into two suitcases and two carry-ons. No more matching sneakers for every outfit. Boo.

So to give you a short recap of this summer, I spent three busy weeks in Vermont singing a tiny role (Annina in Traviata), and getting coachings on my Berlin music in my spare time. Met lots of neat Canadians, and ingested a lot of maple products. Then had a bit of a break, and drove to NH for Opera North. Great singers, great people, not as much time as I would have hoped to learn music. Not as much maple, despite the close proximity to Vermont. Most interesting bits of Opera North were the lining of my entire shower with plastic and duct tape by the landlord since the water was apparently leaking through the tiles (see picture), and my costume for Queen of the Night that was held up by swim noodles. Pointy swim noodles, apparently, since my left shoulder is all scratched up and actually started bleeding during my final performance. (See pictures. Not of the shoulder, of the costume!) Anyway, it was fun to sing one of my many dream roles, and I'm glad I got the opportunity to sing it with orchestra before I make my Deutsche Oper debut as Queen in October.

For those of you who don't know, I've been asked to cover two roles when DOB goes to the Beijing Music Festival in the beginning of October. I'll be covering the Shepherd in Tannhäuser, and Sophie in Rosenkavalier. And with all the things in China that can kill you or make you sick (which is pretty much everything according to the lady at the travel center who gave me my shots), there's probably a 50/50 chance I'll go on. I'll keep you updated!

So yep, leaving in about 18 hours, and by Tuesday afternoon I'll be decorating my apartment in American flags and settling down to a nice meal of sausage with a side of sausage. My dad will be taking over my cell phone, so unless you really want to talk to him, probably don't call my number. Email me, chat with me on Facebook, or be a really good friend and download Skype (for free!) and add me so we can actually talk. My Skype name is EricaMillerSoprano, and as soon as I have internet in my apartment I'll be on it whenever I'm home.

If you want to drop in for a visit, or send me care packages, letters, or kittens, my address will be:

Erica Miller
Richard-Wagner Strasse 1
10585 Berlin
Germany

Auf Wiedersehen, USA!

No comments: